NJDSM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread...

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... Empty The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread...

Post by Turbotaloon95 Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:06 am

Since I got some money finally to start doing some decent modifications to the Talon...I decided to start a thread that I will update as I progress through installation, tuning, driving, track times, etc.

So far I've installed:
DSMLink
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Here are some parts I ordered that just came in today:
AEM UEGO Wideband sensor (thanks to Talha for the gauge)
BC 272/272 cams
Walbro 255 pump & install kit
Revised Lifters
Gauge holder
ARP Head Studs
PTE Fuel injector o-ring set
Valve Cover Gasket Set

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0919

I've also ordered the FP3150 dual ball bearing turbo yesterday. I'll be ordering the FP o2 housing and TiAL 44mm EWG tomorrow

I've got my eye on a 3" downpipe on DSMLink forums, and I'm debating on trying to order a 3" catback from e-bay for $140 shipped.

More parts will come I'm sure, but I think I have enough now to keep me busy. I'll keep this thread updated as I buy more parts, install, test, tune, etc. Remember, Island opens next month!
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Number of posts : 91
Car : 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... Empty Re: The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread...

Post by Gdmbat85 Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 am

Sweet. I'd love to see how those 272's are. I can't decide what cams I should go with.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 231
Car : 99 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... Empty Re: The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread...

Post by SRT-THOR Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Damn, you hit the lottery? Those are some awesome parts.
SRT-THOR
SRT-THOR

Number of posts : 41
Car : SRT-4
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:36 pm

That or he made $200,000 last year while being a highschool student and got all his tax money back. confused
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm

SRT-THOR wrote:Damn, you hit the lottery? Those are some awesome parts.

Actually...truth be told....I lucked out quite a bit. I applied for grad school last year and got into Stevens Institute of Technology. Got a whole bunch of grants and scholarships. Each semester costs roughly $6200 with books, etc. I got enough funding for over $9,000 per semester. So every semester now I get a refund check for like $3,000. Last year that went towards some bills and a deposit on my apartment. This semester the refund came to be closer to $4,000. Bills are all paid up, so I'm finally splurging and getting all the shit I wanted for the car.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:17 am

Hahahaha! That's how I got my turbo! I'm hoping for another refund check this semester also.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:36 am

I got another year to go. If I keep these grants and scholarships and such, those refunds will pay for a built 6-bolt Cool
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by SRT-THOR Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:10 pm

All I'm gonna get is a hefty bill once I'm done w/ school Mad
SRT-THOR
SRT-THOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 pm

SRT-THOR wrote:All I'm gonna get is a hefty bill once I'm done w/ school Mad

It's cool...I'm $80,000 in debt from my undergrad degree Cool
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:41 am

atc250r wrote:
I cannot stress enough how important it is to get the balance shafts out of that motor. Get them before they get you!! My GVR4 had spun BS bearings when I got it and my wife's old one had them spin within a few thousand miles of my freshening the head up. It's way easier to remove them than it is to tear the motor apart after they've made a huge mess in there.

John

Is there an easy way to tell if they are in or out before I start ripping the top end of the motor apart and jacking it up?

More parts from ExtremePSI.com (yea, I placed the ordered yesterday at noon and they arrived today):

TiAL 44mm external wastegate (this thing's huge!!)
Oil return line gasket
(2) Camshaft seals
o2 housing to downpipe gasket

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0920
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:03 am

Haha, I was just reading those posts on the other NJDSM forum. As far as I know, the only way to tell is to pull off the bottom timing belt cover and check to see if the balance shaft belt is there. I just learned how to do timing belts and all that good stuff last week (thanks to Nikki and Paul) and I wouldn't mind giving you a hand. I'd suggest you make a thread in the local help section of the forum if you'd like help.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:51 am

WOOHOO!!!

The FP3150 just arrived. This thing is HUGE!!! It uses the 2g oil feed line, but apparently uses a T4 oil return line Sad Guess I have to order more parts.

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0921

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0922
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by SRT-THOR Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Oh my lord that is buetiful.
SRT-THOR
SRT-THOR

Back to top Go down

Post by zoomzoom6 Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:41 pm

oooo I want to put that in my car!
zoomzoom6
zoomzoom6

Number of posts : 122
Car : mazdaspeed 6

Back to top Go down

Post by SRT-THOR Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:46 pm

zoomzoom6 wrote:oooo I want to put that in my car!
It would blow up.
SRT-THOR
SRT-THOR

Back to top Go down

Post by zoomzoom6 Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:14 pm

You would blow up.
zoomzoom6
zoomzoom6

Number of posts : 122
Car : mazdaspeed 6

Back to top Go down

Post by SRT-THOR Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:17 pm

zoomzoom6 wrote:You would blow up.
lol! True, I'm only good for 15psi.
SRT-THOR
SRT-THOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:20 am

Got the 780cc injectors and the wideband installed today. I also took some "before" pictures of the engine bay. I plan on taking more pics later on as I add parts and such. Tomorrow the 255 fuel pump is going in, then I'll spend some time getting the closed loop tuning done for the fuel setup. Then during the week when all the rest of the parts come in, I'll be installing the turbo setup Twisted Evil

Before pics:
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0923

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0924

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0925

Wideband installed: (don't mind the 16:1 AFR reading...)
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0926

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0927
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Got the fuel pump in Sunday after wrestling with the fuel line for a while. It was stripped underneath the car, so I had to unscrew it from inside the car by the pump. Started her right up, runs good, got a good base tune (closed loop). Tonight I'll be ripping out the old turbo setup and tomorrow I'll start the install of the FP3150 setup. Pics to follow.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:51 am

Very nice. Keep us updated.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 am

Today I'll be taking out the old turbo setup and starting the install on the new setup. I have the turbo and should have the exhaust manifold and o2 housing today. The oil lines, inline oil filter, dump tube, and the rest of my gaskets should arrive tomorrow so I can complete the install. I should have nice comparison pic of the old 16g/18g and the FP3150. It will be very interesting.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:38 pm

Well i wrestled with the old exhaust mani bolts today but finally got it off without stripping anything. Took off the old o2 housing to realize the reason I was leaking there was that I had no gasket between the o2 housing and DP!

Anyway, I got the water lines on the FP3150, and I'm waiting for the oil feed line to come in tomorrow. FP decided not to provide bolts to attached the oil lines to the turbo...unless they are in the package tomorrow.

Got the new manifold bolted up along with the o2 housing. Hopefully tomorrow I can just attach the oil lines, bolt everything up, add oil and coolant and go fast! Cool

Pics of parts:
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0931
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0932
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0933

Empty engine bay!!!
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0934
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0935

Manifold and o2 housing bolted up
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0936
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0937
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:45 pm

Umm, you might wanna attach the turbo to the manifold and drop them in together as one piece. It might make it easier to drop in. Oh, and make sure you tighten all the bolt and lines before you drop it in. I'm the dumbass that had to learn from experience.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 pm

It's easier to get to the bottom exhaust manifold bolts without the turbo there. Also, I checked last night and I can easily bring the turbo up from under the car and bolt it up to the mani. The water lines are on tight, I just gotta put on the oil lines tonight and bolt that puppy up.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 am

Took the day off from work and FINALLY got Taloon running with the FP3150 setup. Had to make a few trips to Home Depot and Schaeffer supply for some bolts and washers and such. I had a hell of a time finding a bolt to plug the oil filter housing where the old oil feed line was. Had to ghetto make my "custom" intake pipe to fit the 3" inlet on the turbo. I'll probably purchase the FP intake soon enough so it doesn't look like garbage.

So I finally start it up after priming it a few times to get the juices flowin and it starts right up (thank jesus!). The new manifold, gaskets, etc started smoking from burning off grease, oil, coolant, etc. It was so bad that it set off my mom's smoke alarm from inside the garage!! haha. So I took out in the driveway. Found a small oil leak from the oil filter housing, fixed it with some teflon tape and re-tightening. Then one of the coolant hoses from the turbo to the block spring a leak, so I quickly replaced it with excess hose I had laying around. Finally took her for a drive at 13psi. This turbo = sexiness. That's all I have to say. The exhaust sounds a lot louder with the new mani and o2 housing, and the dump tube is BEASTLY when the WG opens. It pulls pretty hard but it's running pretty rich at WOT so I need to do a lot of tuning. Other than that, it's fantastic!

The 3" ebay exhaust arrived today, but I probably won't get to it until next weekend. I didn't even bother opening the box because it was taped and stapled shut. It was like a freaking fortress!!

Anyway...pictures...(I know I suck at taking pictures...get over it).
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0939

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0940

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0941

The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0942

Old parts....
The "I'm ordering tons of parts" thread... HPIM0943
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next