NJDSM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which MBC?

4 posters

Go down

Which MBC? Empty Re: Which MBC?

Post by greentsi Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:34 am

i wish i had enough money for all that. im working two jobs and im still broke haha. but i might try and buy some of the stuff from you. maybe il have enough once i get ride of my old car. im deffinitly going to get a boost gauge, boost controller, and a fuel pump first. with the 16g id need like a front mount intercooler and a new bov, plus the exhaust manifold and the iinstall kit?

The guy i bought my car from said the turbo was rebuilt by forced preformance
greentsi
greentsi
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Number of posts : 8
Car : 95 eagle talon tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-02-19

http://www.tunerfriends.com/forums/member.php?u=21994&2140

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 am

Your turbo was rebuilt by Forced Performance? That's awesome...they are like turbo Gods to us. I'm assuming it's still the T-25 (stock turbo)?

You don't necessarily need a front mount intercooler for a 16g. It helps, but not necessary. Your best bet would to get a side mount intercooler from a MKIV supra. They fit in the stock location with a LITTLE modification.

You should also try to find a stock or "crushed" 1g blow off valve. You can find them for $50 of even cheaper. Then, you can either get an adapter flange (from any shop that sells DSM parts) or get/buy an upper intercooler pipe that is flanged for a 1g bov. It will hold plenty for your plans.

You can also use the stock exhaust manifold for the 16g. The one I'm selling is the same one you have, but it's ported to match so it flows a lot better. The porting job on the exhaust manifold and the o2 housing help prevent boost creep with this setup.

As far as not having money right now, I completely understand that. When I list the parts I'm selling in the next week or so, and you really want them, I'm sure we can work something out. Plus I'd be more than happy to help you install any parts you buy from me or elsewhere that are bolt-ons.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Number of posts : 91
Car : 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by greentsi Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 am

haha, yea im pretty sure its the stock turbo. that would be awsome if you could help me out. Do you know what kinda of controller would be best?
greentsi
greentsi
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:31 am

a boost controller is a boost controller. you can make one out of parts from home depot for like $5, buy a used one for like $25, or buy one with a knob in the cockpit for like $80. they all function the same. my last talon had a "Joe P" boost controller I bought for like $15.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by greentsi Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:43 am

haha, this is good news.$25 is more like my price range. so i dont really need a good one? i saw them on ebay for like 10 bucks.
greentsi
greentsi
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30 am

I would be a bit more careful if I were you. MBC's all function in the same basic way, but their construction may affect how well they work and how adjustable they are. For example, I purchased one of those ebay MBC's for like $15 and one click of the knob is 10psi and the second click went upto 15psi - there's no in between. Go with a MBC that is known to function well.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 231
Car : 99 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboMike Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Make sure its a ball and pin type (ie: it stays closed until the set boost then opens). You can get them new $35-40 or used a lot less. A simple bleed off valve will leak air all the time and not worth saving $15 to $20 to get one. Dont make me list all the reasons why you dont want air leaking all the time, theres just too many.

TurboMike
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Umm, I don't know if you have a different setup as I used to. I had an adjustable bleeder valve which was after the boost controller, so it would only bleed what was in the line between the controller and wastegate, aka it would only bleed air while boosting, not all the time. Additionally, I was able to set the bleeders pressure so it would only allow a certain amount of air through at a certain pressure. It worked flawlessly and was just as good, if not better than my EBC.

However, you're right mike in the sense that it was the only MBC I've ever seen that had such adjustablity features so people shouldn't get a bleeder valve with the impression that they all work the same.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboMike Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:20 am

You installed a bleeder after a MBC? So you had two MBC? Confused.

TurboMike
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:59 am

The bleeder is built into the MBC but its behind the spring, so it only sees air thats between the spring and wastegate. Also, the bleeder is fully adjustable so it was just used to help the wastegate shut during shifts.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Turbotaloon95 Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm

If you're still looking for an MBC, I recommend the Hallman one with the in-dash controller knob. That's what I'm using now. Holds 20psi without any issues. Plus it's pretty sweet to have a knob under my dash where I can just turn up the boost when necessary.
Turbotaloon95
Turbotaloon95
NJDSM'er
NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:48 am

I'd have to agree. In dash knob FTW.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by greentsi Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 am

yea i like how the knob is on the inside. i think i might go with the hallman.
greentsi
greentsi
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content