NJDSM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a tranny swap, Will pay!

3 posters

Go down

I need a tranny swap, Will pay! Empty I need a tranny swap, Will pay!

Post by Too_Slow Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 am

Ok, so here's the deal...I have a wrecked 1998 eclipse RS sitting in my driveway..but I think the tranny is ok..It was fine before I got into an accident, but was un driveable due to severe suspension problems, and I think the axel broke. Note it's an Automatic.

My GS (daily driver) is in desperate need of a transmission. I would hit the brake, the tranny would go into neutral, I'd give it gas..and it's pop back into drive. Note, this is an automatic. Sometimes it would go from 2nd to first while accelerating, it's definatly on it's last legs.

So, I was wondering, if possible, if I could swap the tranny from the RS into my GS, and have a functioning tranny.

I really don't know how to do this myself, and wouldn't trust myself doing it alone. I will pay anyone to help me get the tranny out of the RS, and swap it out with the one in the GS. I'm located in Woodbridge NJ. Please, if you have free time, or want to make some cash, LET ME KNOW! Please! Hopefully it wont be too hard.

Notes to consider:
I do not have a lift, or a cherry picker. The broken RS is in my driveway, on jackstands, and cannot move.

I do own a descent set of tools, ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, things like that, but if anything else is necessary like a air gun or anything, I don't own one.

So, let me know what's up, if you're willing to do this or not. Thanks, Tim
Too_Slow
Too_Slow
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Number of posts : 8
Car : 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down

I need a tranny swap, Will pay! Empty Re: I need a tranny swap, Will pay!

Post by Gdmbat85 Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 am

I'd love to help but I'm undergoing a major project on my DSM and I don't really deal with A/T.

Aslong as it's the same engine in both cars (2.0 or 1.8 ), the trans' should match up.

There might not be anything wrong with your current tranny though. I would try simply replacing the tranny fluid for a few bux and see if that fixes the problem. It could save you a major headache.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 231
Car : 99 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Too_Slow Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 am

Really? I also noticed that I would fill my Antifreeze resivouir, and then it'd be gone after driving. The car dosen't overheat or anything. It's just weird how it kicks into neutral ifI brake hard or anything.
Too_Slow
Too_Slow
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Fri May 09, 2008 11:45 am

It's probably not releasing quickly enough. I know that's normal if your in drive and your car gets pushed backwards. The tranny kicks into neutral to prevent any damage. That's what makes the PIT technique so affective and why most cars can't continue to move after spinning out. Either in neutral or stalls out.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Too_Slow Fri May 09, 2008 11:55 am

so that meannnnssssss?
Too_Slow
Too_Slow
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Fri May 09, 2008 12:55 pm

i say pick up some ATF from the store for like 10 bux and give it a shot. If it works, consider that a flush and drain it back out and put some synthetic ATF.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Too_Slow Fri May 09, 2008 9:40 pm

I have fluid, so should I just add little bit? Or how do I drain it? Sorry, I;ve never done this before haha.

Last edited by zoomzoom6 on Fri May 16, 2008 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SIG IS TOO BIG!)
Too_Slow
Too_Slow
New NJDSM'er
New NJDSM'er

Back to top Go down

Post by Gdmbat85 Sat May 10, 2008 2:38 am

There's a bolt plug in youre transmission similar to your oil pan. It will be towards the very bottom which you drain the transmission fluid out of just like you were draining your oil. Just drain the transmission fluid and add all new fluid.

For manual transmissions, I know there's a bolt about half way up the transmission where you fill it through till it starts overflowing outta the hole. For autos though, I believe you should have a tranny fluid dipstick. You can use a funnel and just fill it through there till it's at the correct level.
Gdmbat85
Gdmbat85
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScreamingEagle Fri May 16, 2008 1:43 pm

There's a pan on the bottom of the transmission that looks kind of like your oil pan, only it's on the trans and it has no drain plug. It has like 16 10mm bolts holding it in. You need to get some big container (big as in it's got alot of area, not necessarily height) and loosen the bolts from one side to the opposite side, moving around the pan. When you get them loose enough, you can wiggle the pan loose from the gasket. Drain out as much fluid as you can this way, then when it's as empty as it gets remove the rest of the plugs and drop the pan. There's a magnet in there that will be covered with metal. Be sure to clean the pan- use gas or Stoner's Invisible Glass, they work best. Pull out the filter, the squarish thing on the trans, there is a o-ring where it goes in the trans. You will get a new filter and o-ring with the gasket if you get the kit. Clean up the old gasket from the pan and the trans, install the new filter, put the new gasket on the pan and put the pan back on just like you removed it. It's very important that you tighten those bolts going back and forth across opposite sides, and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THEM!!! Use a nutdriver or something, it's a ridiculously small amount of torque and if you overtighten them you WILL strip the holes in the trans. Trust me. Make sure you get ATF+3, that's the kind that Chrysler trans uses.
You do have to fill it through the dipstick, get yourself a long thin funnel. Put a few quarts in and run it though the gears, going to N between the gears (P-N-R-N-D-N-2-1-N) and you have to drive it for the reading on the dipstick to be accurate. Go for a spin, take the fluid and funnel with you, if it starts doing neutral drops once you start to drive, check the fluid level you may need to add more.

Let us know how it goes.
ScreamingEagle
ScreamingEagle

Number of posts : 47
Car : 07 Sky Redline, 97 Talon ESi, 95 Talon TSi AWD, 83 Eagle SX/4
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down